Submissions have closed for the 2013 Season.
New submissions will re-open mid August 2013
The City Theatre National Award for Short Playwriting:
The City Theatre National Award for Short Playwriting furthers the Company’s mission to identify, acknowledge and award excellence in dramatic writing. Up to fifteen playwrights will be selected from among the hundreds who annually submit their ten-minute plays to the company for special recognition. The winning play will be produced in the annual Summer Shorts festival, for which the playwright will earn royalties, be invited to Miami for the festival and to take part in the CityWrights Professional Weekend for Playwrights. Transportation, hotel, the Weekend and a cash prize will be awarded up to a value of $2,000.00. Finalists will receive free tuition to attend CityWrights, and may be considered for production in the Summer Shorts festival and other programming. City Theatre National Award scripts will be submitted to the Samuel French Off Off Broadway Festival. The Summer Shorts Festivals are produced annually in Miami in the month of June.
City Theatre Play Submissions Rules and Information:
Please review the criteria thoroughly before sending your submission to City Theatre. Plays will be accepted yearly from August 15 – October 31. Scripts won’t be considered sooner or later!
With the mission of developing and producing original short plays by established talents and promising new voices, City Theatre is looking for wonderful ten-minute plays for our annual Summer Shorts festival and other programming. Having produced hundreds of plays, we know what we want; scripts that are lively and timely, hilarious and thought-provoking, poignant and dangerous. We look for plays that span style and genre. We will consider bilingual scripts and ten-minute musicals. We have no restriction on the age range of the characters. In other words, for us to consider a script for production, we are seeking compelling plays that rise above the ordinary.
- Each playwright may submit only one script – send us your best!
- No scripts will be returned – save postage. No SASE required.
- Each script must be no more than ten pages long. We start counting when the actual play begins. Please remember to submit scripts with page numbers.
- Previously submitted plays, children’s shows, and any unsolicited longer one-act or full-length plays are not accepted and will not be returned.
- City Theatre will consider previously produced works, but there must be a production history included with submission.
- Manuscripts must be typed and individually bound or stapled. Title page must include name, address, email address and phone number. We will accept electronic submissions provided all of the contact info and production history is included.
- The volume of scripts submitted prevents us from providing feedback or criticism.
- NOTE: City Theatre will only contact the playwrights with scripts the company is interested in producing. Playwrights with scripts in consideration will be contacted in February-March.
Deadline – Submission Postmark Every Year by October 31st.
Address Submissions to:City Theatre 444 Brickell Ave., Suite 229, Miami, Fl 33131